5, 4, 3, 2, 1… Moving week! If you’ve been following our week by week move planning series, you’re in great condition to move this week.
So what’s the one thing you need to work on this week?
Ok, so the question is a bit misleading. There’s honestly more than one thing to do the last week before you move. But there is ONE thing you especially don’t want to overlook this week. Any guesses?
Here it comes…
An “open first” box.
You’ll still need to tie up a few more loose ends before you move, but it’s imperative that you prepare an “open first” box so you can easily access everything you need the first night in your new home.
So what should go in this “open first” box? Anything you’ll need or want that first night. We’ve got some ideas:
· Paperwork and all important documents, especially those related to your move
· Any medications and a first aid kit
· Essential clothing for one or two days (for everyone in the family)
· Hygiene kit including everyone’s tooth and hair brushes, toothpaste, deodorant, cosmetics, lotions, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, razors, shaving cream, and makeup
· Snacks, games, and toys for the kids
· Sheets, blankets, and pillows
· Towels, shower curtain, and a bath mat
· Toilet paper, paper towel, foil, plastic wrap, and scissors
· Trash Bags, screwdrivers, hammer, flashlight
· Plastic or disposable cups, dishes, and utensils
· Basic cutlery, frying pan, and a cooking pot
· Kitchen towels, sponge, and dish soap
· Coffee maker, filters, mug(s), coffee or tea, small packets of sugar or sweetener
· Toys, bowls, food, and litter box/potty pads for any pets
Depending on the amount of essentials, you may need to pack these items in multiple boxes. Make sure you label the box or boxes clearly so they are easy to spot when your driver delivers your goods.
If you won’t arrive in your new home the first night, you’ll want to put separate some of these “open first” box items into an overnight bag (i.e. change of clothes, toiletries, etc.). To keep this a smooth move, do whatever works best for you.
Congratulations! You’re prepped for moving day! Enjoy the rest of the process as you embrace new beginnings.If you think of anything else we should add to our “open first” box, be sure to write it in the comments below!
Subscribe to Schick Moving & Storage's Blog