It’s that time of year again when winter ends, and the weather slowly starts to warm up—marking the perfect time for beginning your annual spring cleaning project. Spring cleaning is an amazing way to rejuvenate your home and property, getting rid of what you no longer need, while clearing your space of dirt, dust, and grime.
Spring cleaning (and cleaning, in general) involves decluttering. In other words, it’s likely that you will find the need to dispose of certain items in your household that you would no longer use in order to save up some space and keep your home clean.
However, as you sort through your belongings, you will find some things that have sentimental value or you feel would be of use in the future but would prefer to be stored elsewhere. This is where storage units come in—they can be used for keeping seasonal items and other things that you would need to get rid off in your home.
In this article, our storage experts from Schick Moving & Storage will discuss the most helpful tips for organizing your items for storage, and the benefits of using these storage options during the spring cleaning season.
The Benefits of Using Spring Storage
For many households, the beginning of the spring season means heavy duty cleaning is on the agenda. In the process of organizing and cleaning their home, sorting through belongings and deciding whether to keep, sell, donate, or toss them in the garbage is an important step.
Sometimes, however, it might be useful to use storage options for those things you’re just not ready to part with just yet—or those that you need to set aside until the next winter season to save space. Here are some examples of those items you might want to place in storage in the springtime:
- Seasonal Equipment: Snow shovels, skis, poles, snowboards, and other winter items are large, bulky, and take up plenty of space. It could be a good idea to place these items into storage instead until the winter season arrives and you need them again.
- Sentimental Items: Do you currently keep boxes and boxes of your children’s memorabilia? Perhaps report cards, artwork, or other sentimental items that you don’t use on a regular basis, but that you’d like to keep anyway? Consider storage options to keep these items safe and protected, but out of the way—creating space inside your home.
- Winter Clothing: Off with the heavy sweaters and giant coats, thick boots, scarves, mittens, and snowsuits, and in with the light, thin, cotton t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Winter clothing takes up a ton of space, and temporary storage can be a great idea for keeping it safe until you need it again.
Spring Storage Tips
Storage in the spring is a great idea for storing your items over the long spring, summer, and fall months. Here are some helpful tips to make your storage experience a more successful one over the busy spring, summer, and fall months of the year.
- Visit Storage Units Early: Rental rates of storage units can rise due to the greater demand during the peak moving season, which begins in mid-May. Take advantage of special promos and discounts offered during the off-peak season by visiting reputable storage facilities early on in the season or at the tail end of the winter season.
- Find Reliable Storage Companies: Make sure that you will rent from a reputable storage company that is fully insured and implements tight security measures. Search online for top-rated companies with excellent customer reviews, and those with solid backgrounds in the industry.
- Avoid Certain Locations and Times: People moving and college students will be your greatest competition for storage units during the spring season. So if you want to avoid the hassle, stay away from storage facilities located near colleges and universities, and plan to book storage before peak moving season starts in Mid-May.
- Choose Accessible Storage Locations: If possible, rent a storage unit close to your home. However, keep in mind that you don’t really have to rent a storage unit that is too close to your area of residence if the company provides storage transportation services to arrange for pick-up or drop-off of your items if necessary.
Your Trusted Storage Company
With well over a century of experience in the moving and storage industry, Schick Moving & Storage is your best bet for superior storage options for your spring cleaning storage needs. Aside from our top-rated, full-service moving solutions, our company also provides top quality storage solutions for homeowners and businesses from our high-tech storage facility, which includes over 100,000 square feet of space. We also have an additional 40,000 square foot storage facility in Lake Forest, California, with state-of-the-art security features and full-service options for short-term and long-term storage.
To learn more about our services, give us a call to speak with a representative from Schick Moving & Storage today. To get started with a free, in-home estimate for your moving or storage needs, fill out our online form to receive a consultation and price quote as soon as today.